Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommendation of a good secure Flash drive?

From: Walter Petruska <wpetruska () USFCA EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:00:11 -0700

Another option you may wish to consider is a company called 'Cryptzone'.

They have a family of encryption products which integrate into Active
Directory, give you enterprise control, policies, help desk admin console,
key escrow and recovery, reports, etc.

The biggest benefits are:
1.) You use nearly ANY existing flash drive (no new endpoint hardware to
purchase)
2.) You may encrypt as many flash drives as you wish per licensed user. You
can also encrypt removable/portable storage such as high-capacity hard
drives (also important in our work).
3.) Solutions also cover individual file, folder, network share encryption.
4.) There is a free reader, so not everyone who needs to read the
files/folders needs to have a licensed installation.
5.) You may issue shared secret keys, licenses, etc. to individuals outside
of your org or domains
6.) The  biggest benefit is cost, which I can't tell you here, but is so
ridiculously low in comparison to an IronKey solution that you'll wonder why
you've never heard of them before.

The other great thing about Cryptzone is their people.  They are a Swedish
company, and their employees all treat their clients very well and insist on
doing as much of the work for you as they possibly can. Every time I've had
a product improvement suggestion or brought a bug to their attention, they
reply in just a few days with an actual fix or updated product plan to
integrate the improvement.

If you're just looking for a single secure flash drive, and not a solution
for a workgroup or enterprise, you can purchase a single copy via their
website.

It's not often that I'd go out of my way to recommend a vendor, but these
guys are really good, easy to use, and affordable.

Walter E. Petruska,  CISSP, CISA, CGEIT
USF Information Security Officer

University of San Francisco
Lone Mountain North - 226