Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: passwords

From: Kent Percival <percival () UOGUELPH CA>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:15:52 -0400

Should we be advocating for better networked Access Management solutions which reduce password proliferation without
requiring more complicated solutions than necessary for the user?

Many of us have adopted Single-Sign-On solutions for our campus.  We should also encourage

·        OpenId for lower risk social networking or general “cloud” applications.
With Google, Yahoo, etc. getting behind OpenId, this access federation solution will become much more pervasive.  It is
also a good solution for lower-risk campus applications that extend to audiences beyond the immediate community,
including prospective students.  For such external applications we should encourage our community to adopt such
solutions for their general internet activities to improve their security hygiene.

·        SAML 2.x (e.g. Shibboleth) for higher risk applications operated outside the immediate campus security domain
(e.g. multi-institutional shared, or commercially provided, such as library resource providers).  Access to these
applications depend on the user’s relationship to the institution – SAML can transmit such institutional role
information to service provider authorization policies, while also protecting identity leaks, all while relying on the
institution’s Single-Sign-On credentials for authentication.

....Kent

Kent Percival,  M.Sc., P.Eng.

Manager, Research Partnerships

Computing and Communications Services