Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Proliferation of NBT queries

From: Dennis Bohn <BOHN () ADELPHI EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:39:04 -0400

We have been seeing some odd traffic on the network, and wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.  About three
weeks ago, we started seeing a large volume of NBT queries (udp port 137) to our DHCP servers.  Certain machines do
this repeatedly, 30-60 times a minute.  Oddly, our DHCP servers are Linux.

As things evolved, we discovered that the machines doing the queries had autoconfigured printers that had been shared
(inadvertently) on other Windows boxen.  We have not proved, but have a high index of suspicion that it is
Itunes/Bonjour that is discovering and autoconfiguring the printers.  We can't be certain that machines weren't
previously using the DHCP servers for NBT queries; it may have been at a low level and gone unnoticed.

So, there are two issues: 1) Has anyone else seen PC-shared printers become autoconfigured on another PC?

2) We still have no idea why the machines are querying the DHCP servers, the Windows boxes still show no WINS server.
Have googled, and the DHCP server is not the documented search order for Microsoft machines.

Best,
dennis

Dennis Bohn
network manager