Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Higher Education Opportunity Act & Peer-to-Peer File Sharing

From: Steve Worona <sworona () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:22:58 -0400

For additional background, see <http://www.educause.edu/blog/sworona/UpdateonHEOAandP2P/174432>.
Steve
--
Steven L. Worona
Director of Policy and Networking Programs
EDUCAUSE / 1150 18th St. NW suite 1010 / Washington, DC 20036
202-331-5358 / 202-872-4318 fax
mailto:sworona () educause edu http://connect.educause.edu/blog/sworona

-----
At 3:17 PM -0600 7/15/09, Chris Kidd wrote:
Šthis isn¹t really a security question, but it ended up in my lap. I¹m wondering how other educational institutions are meeting this requirement from the HEOA:

³The University Š will, to the extent practicable, offer alternatives to illegal downloading or peer-to-peer distribution of intellectual property, as determined by the institution in consultation with the chief technology officer.³

We were pointing students to Ruckus, but it¹s now out of business.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Chris

Chris Kidd, CISSP, IAM, CIPP/G, CHP, ITIL
Chief Information Security and Privacy Officer
Information Security and Privacy Office
650 Komas Drive, Suite 102
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Office: 801.587.9241