Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FTC Ruling on PHI Information

From: Allison Dolan <adolan () MIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:52:40 -0400

The FTC rule  definitely includes entities like Google Health
Records, and other 'cloud' entities - if they have a breach, they
must now notify (there was no such requirement before).  If your
health care services host the application, then I think it was
already covered under HIPAA.  If, however, they were using a hosted
service then checking with your lawyer (or whoever your HIPAA coord
is) would be prudent - not only did they add 'web-based entities',
but the rules for "business associates" also changed.

Note:  This has been called the first national data breach
notification requirement.  AND it expands enforcement from just the
HHS dept, to include FTC and state/local gov.   They also added some
significant fines.

......Allison  Dolan (617-252-1461)