Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Electric Co-Gen plants

From: Dallas Thornton <dallas () SDSC EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:47:57 -0700

It sounds like your campus is not architected in a way that makes CoGen supplemental or redundant to street power. I've
heard of other campuses that were for some reason designed in the fashion, and they experienced similar problems. (I
can share offline if you are interested.)

I's suggest you build the business case for the addition centered around the resulting costs due to loss of service
availability, damage to the DC IT hardware, cost of staff time to bring back services, and [likely] data corruption due
to systems going down in a bad way. There are many other components you might be able to add based on your situation
and the types of compute loads you host in your datacenter. Do you host mission critical systems, life-safety systems,
clinical systems, payroll systems, etc.? This is a business issue, and addressing it from the fiscal perspective is
your best chance of freeing up funds to make it happen.

By the way, I am not an advocate of generator and/or UPS for everything. It has its place in the mission-critical and
storage space, as does street/cogen power for non-critical research compute loads. In an academic environment, I don't
know many institutions that can afford to have backup power for everything and remain cost-competitive. It is a luxury,
but one that is at lease sparingly needed for critical loads. And, no, all faculty projects are not considered critical
loads... =)

Good luck!

Dallas