Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSH dictionary attack dictionary

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:01:55 -0600

We had a radius server that showed us some similar "dictionary attacks"
since it logged all bad password attempts.  At the time we had very minimal
password complexity requirements and common passwords in use here
included "123456" and "aggies".  I recall about three common, easily
recognizable strategies from perusing those logs:

1) for usernames that were obviously gleaned from email lists, they
would hit with about 600 common passcodes.  They tried their list
alphabetically and we could tell if they made a hit because they didn't
get to the end of the list.  Curiously, "aggies" didn't seem to be in their
list, although "123456" was.

2) root/admin type usernames with all our other real usernames as
passwords.

3) username=password for lots of common usernames (whether they
were in use here or not)

Also, we watch our VPN logs for successful connections from out of the
country (usually Chinese IPs) and contact the user to see if they really
are in that country (which was true about 1% of the time).  These events
have become quite rare in the past year, since we enforced new
password complexity rules and raised awareness.

Bob Bayn        (435)797-2396      Security Team coordinator
Power off your desktop after hours to thwart network probes.
Office of Information Technology   at  Utah State University