Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discontinuance of Thawte personal email certificates and Web of Trust

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:28:21 -0400

I was never a big fan of the Thawte email certs for a couple of reasons, the main one
being that the WOT model wasn't applicable to a managed deployment to staff - if that was
ever chosen to be done here which it hasn't. I went with the commercial offerings:
delegated enrolment/renewal and automated smartcard install for under $10/cert (eg.
Comodo, not including smartcard). In thinking about the WOT model, I think a central
organizational provisioning system with good policy/procedure is easier to set up and
maybe more secure than an internal WOT.

IMO, a functional and secure deployment of user certificates is best done using an
accredited, reputable, commercial CA with provisioning delegated to a central,
institutional group, with proper policies and procedures in place. Finally, they should be
issued on cryptographic smartcards for portability and security.

BTW, nothing wrong with an internal self-signed CA for internal use only. As others
mentioned though, chaining a commercial root cert with an internal intermediate is
expensive - I don't see the benefits for the extra cost.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Department of Information Security
University of Toronto