Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Two factor Authentication

From: Neil Matatall <nmatatal () UCI EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:55:00 -0700

Hence, quick-turn reuse attacks are unsuccessful.

My experience is that once you use a RSA SecurID token code it cannot be
used again even if it is within the one minute period.

Message=ACCESS DENIED, multiple auths (Login: <username>

We've used SafeWord, from (formerly) Secure Computing (now from Aladdin)
for several years.  It's a lot like the others (e.g. RSA) but is different
in that its tokens are not time-sync'd (they seem instead to be
sequence-sync'd), and so each press of the button yields a one-time
password that is immediately invalid once used.  Hence, quick-turn reuse
attacks are unsuccessful.  With time-sync'd tokens, the same password may
work for a given interval, such as  a minute.  Perhaps my info is dated
and this risk has been mitigated in those products.

You may want to look at nuances like that as you make your selection.