Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPS

From: Patrick Ouellette <ouellep () ALGONQUINCOLLEGE COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:44:28 -0400

I've personally found that both McAffee and Norton don't update/push fast enough to catch everything.
And McAfee has always been something of a memory hog, as are a great many of the HIPS products.

However, we've tested most of the major products for use in our environment (academic + corporate mixed in Educational
Institution) and adopted ESET's Smart Security suite 4.
Used to use Panda Internet Security, but ESET's even better for low-impact on host.

Sincerely,

Patrick Ouellette
Algonquin College - School of Advanced Technology
Program Coordinator - Computer Systems Technician & Technology- Networking / Security Programs
Professor - Computer Studies Department