Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop Management

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 08:56:57 -0700

Hi Rob,

 We encountered the issue of IT laptop management when we did our full disk encryption project. :)

  1. We centrally manage some laptops via a checkout process.
  2. Central IT buys all laptops for the college, with the exception of grants.

 FWIW, we found it essential to divide laptops into "academic" and "staff" for the purposes of our FDE project. We also
found that before we did any software installation, it was essential to round up all laptops and do basic maintenance
on laptops that hadn't seen the network in months or years.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College
Office: 520-206-4873