Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:10:09 -0400

David Gillett wrote:
  We have ONCE, so far, had someone come to use with an academic need to run

Skype on a particular machine on our network.

While Skype uses P2P-like technology, it's not in the same class as
Torrent as a file-sharing medium. It's really best to separate P2P
file-sharing from other uses of the same serverless design.

Our Language Lab uses Skype to connect a classroomful of Spanish
students, for example, with a similar class of English students in
Barcelona for one-on-one conversation in both languages. Most effective,
and economical besides. I use our Packetlogic to enhance Skype
performance, not to block it...

--
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of
Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"Fool-proof implies a finite number of fools."