Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Email Taglines and Policy

From: Richard Biever <richard.biever () OIT GATECH EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:40:51 -0400

Hi all,

We received an interesting question around email taglines (the quotes
after people's signatures in email), and I thought I would see what
folks thought about it.   The question was whether or not we needed a
policy in place on the use of email taglines.  We have a general
acceptable use policy that covers 'messaging technologies' and
appropriate content.  I would expect this to cover an obscene or
offensive email tagline.

Have you all addressed email signatures directly, or would you
considered this to be covered in a campus acceptable use policy?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you might have!

Cheers,
Richard Biever

Richard Biever, CISSP
Information Security