Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting Data to Third Parties

From: "Hart, Lee Anne" <LeeAnne.Hart () MONTGOMERYCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:12:19 -0400

Hi Patty,

My first question to you would be do you have an ongoing relationship with
the 3rd parties or is the transfer and onetime event? That answer will
affect which method you ultimately choose. Are the transfers strictly email
attachments or would entire emails and/or larger files need to be
transferred?

If the requirement is to regularly send encrypted email as well as
attachments to regular 3rd parties, I would recommend GPG which is free or
PGP which is the commercial version. Both work with Outlook or other email
programs. It uses public key encryption and would require the exchange of
public keys.

http://www.gnupg.org/

Another option would be use WinZip version 9 or higher. It has the ability
to encrypt zip files. The down side to this method is that password must be
stronger and shared securely with the receiver and only the zip file is
encrypted.

http://blog.itsecurityexpert.co.uk/2008/01/winzip-encryption-password-securi
ty.html

If the requirement involves secure transfers on an irregular or one time
basis, you could consider an FTP server. I would recommend using a *unix
system with vsftp in a chrooted environment in the DMZ. The challenge will
be creating/maintaining user accounts for the 3rd parties.

http://vsftpd.beasts.org/

All will involve user education and good strong passwords.

Hope that helps.

Lee Anne