Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Odd (to me)email info

From: Michael Fox <Mfox () GEORGIASOUTHERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:00:35 -0400

I have been asked to look at some emails and while I was looking at them (text mode) I saw the following in the body:

Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 13:29:47 -0400
From:X
<X () georgiasouthern edu<http://us.mc455.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=X () georgiasouthern edu>

To:Y () gmail com<http://us.mc455.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Y () gmail com>
Cc:Z
<Z () georgiasouthern edu<http://us.mc455.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Z () georgiasouthern edu>

Where X,Y, and Z are three different email accounts. When the email is viewed as HTML it just shows the 3 different
email accounts. X () georgiasouthern edu, Y () gmail com, etc.

What does the us.mc455.mail.yahoo.com... mean with the local email domain and gmail domain attached? These are not in
the headers, they are in the body of the email.

I've googled it but can't find anything that tells me what it is. Any help in determining what this means would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Fox
Georgia Southern University
Information Technology Services
Office of Information Security
mfox () georgiasouthern edu
(912)478-1592

Jeremiah 29:11-16

NOTE: This email message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in
error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately contact the
sender and delete this email message.