Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Filtering outgoing email [MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

From: "Irish, Adrian L" <Adrian.Irish () MSO UMT EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:45:53 -0600

Brady, we filter incoming and outgoing using the google list mentioned previously.  What happens is that the phish
makes it through the incoming filter, but is then subsequently detected, the return address is added to the list, and
most, if not all, of the responses are blocked (in our case, we quarantine them).  When we first started this, I
thought that would be a rare occurrence, but it turns out that it happens quite often.

We also scan our smtp logs (again, using the google list) and flag responses to phishes that made it out.  I then
contact those individuals to find out if they actually gave up their password.

Adrian Irish
IT Security Officer
The University of Montana
SS 126D