Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Externally administered servers in domain - policies and procedures for joining

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:11:15 -0500

You'll likely get much better answers from win-hied mailing list.   We
support delegated OU management where there is an OU for each area
where computer accounts and group accounts are created.   We centrally
handle user provisioning.

We've setup one way trusts to support people using our accounts in a
separate domain.  I'm not a big fan of this.  Per the SANS windows
security course, the main (only?) justification for separate domains
is politics and "who has domain admin".

We restrict with a proxyadmin tool:

 Group Creation (must conform to naming convention; unfortunately
we've not been able to prevent renaming of groups from AD)
 GPO creation (most people that want 10 GPOs really don't know how to
use GPOs)
 Joining new systems to domain (Must create account first and conform
to naming convention)
 Resource and User account creation.

AFAICT, there's no real risks associated with having someone's server
in the domain that doesn't also exist by issuing credentials to the
system.  The big one of allowing impersonation is the only one I can
think of.

Domain admins should NEVER login to the departmental servers and that
functionality must be maintained completely separate user accounts.

We also go through a pretty big set of what is allowed through central
GPO application versus what is done at the OU level.  That means
things like screensaver passwords are handled only at the departmental
OU level.   That was a concession to politics long ago and has served
us well in the "trust us to provide the domain, we trust you to
maintain what you have to".