Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: TriGeo SIEM Experience

From: "Daly, Douglas" <DDALY () NYMC EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:59:07 -0400

We are using enVision. We chose it largely due to it's being able to collect Windows logs natively. We also liked the
vast number of canned reports that are fine out of the box and are really useful as templates (create a copy and then
modify) for customizing reports. The Analyze feature is useful and we contracted for 3 days professional time to set it
up and get our preliminary training. Part of that time was spent setting up a watchlist scenario that automatically
notifies the CIO if there is any change in the Domain Admins security group. That was more complex than it sounds.
Contact me off list if you'd like a brief overview of how we did this.

The TriGEO was one we did not look at since, at the time, the Gartner magic quadrant report indicated it had some
limitations that caused us not to include it in the process. It's a copyrighted report so I can't send it but you could
ask the vendors for an updated version (mine was 1Q07). It indicated that the TriGEO didn't scale well to large
installations - that may have changed.

We did eval MARS from Cisco and found that snort (required for collecting Windows logs) if installed and not tuned,
would use about 50% of the server's CPU.

One recommendation for choosing a SIEM, you will likely underestimate the number of events per second you will feed to
the box, so license it for 2 or 3 times more than you think you will need.

Douglas Daly
Associate Director,
Technical Services
New York Medical College