Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Adware/Spyware on Mac/OS X

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () CERIAS PURDUE EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 21:45:50 -0400

This is the one response of actual malware being found on end-user
systems.  Things installed via an ssh break are different, as are
demonstrations of things on web sites that require automatically and
blindly running things downloaded.

I'm interested in real malware that propagates itself either via files
or via networks.    I have not heard of any nor seen any reports
posted of such things.    Trojans, yes, and usually from unwise
downloading of torrents.   And yes, backdoors and changes from ssh
breaks.

I'm not advocating against AV for Macs.  I'm trying to find real
instances of in-the-wild malware that is spreading itself in some way,
and real instances of Mac-based spyware.