Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Challenge/response questions?

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:42:09 -0400

Bob Bayn wrote:

so.

We have that problem too. In a new system we proposed, the answers
would be case insensitive and would have white space removed.

Some "favorites" change over time so challenges that ask about a favorite are hard to answer after 6 months.

Agreed. Especially when you're 19. :)

However, this is a fallback mechanism to be used only when a password
is forgotten and there may be fallback mechanisms to the challenge
questions if their answers can't be remembered. Like a visit to the
helpdesk with a picture ID when the person is on-campus.

We've just recently given our ServiceDesk staff the ability to access a user's challenge responses so they can do
confirmations over the phone and accept approximate matches to the answers.

Isn't that kind of like giving them access to the account passwords?

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer