Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Skype on the network

From: Mike Porter <mike () UDEL EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:32:44 -0400

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Brian Epstein wrote:

We find that supernodes contact a large number of remote hosts on a
daily basis.  If a supernode runs long enough, it can reach over
1,000,000 remote computers a day.  We disable any machine contacting
over some number of remote computers per day.  Skype or not.

We've also found that Skype will create as many supernodes within
your IP range as they see fit.  We've disabled 10 in one day at
times.

The bandwidth requirements of supernodes is not especially high,
however the number of remote hosts contacted generates a great deal
of NetFlow, which I believe is causing us to lose NetFlow data and
therefore compromises our ability to monitor the network.  I can not
see making an argument to increase our NetFlow resources in order to
support a vendor's servers.

Skype is a poor choice, in my opinion.  If Skype wants to run a
service like this, then they should install servers like eveyone
else.

Mike

Mike Porter
Systems Programmer V
IT/NSS
University of Delaware

-
Mike Porter
PGP Fingerprint: F4 AE E1 9F 67 F7 DA EA  2F D2 37 F3 99 ED D1 C2