Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Initial Passwords

From: Eric Case <ecase () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:08:50 -0700

At 02:41 PM 4/1/2009 -0400, King, Ronald A. wrote:
Our new users (or their manger) fills out a form requesting accesses
to different systems based on their function here.  When we get the
form and all the appropriate signatures, we create the account and
password.  It usually takes us a day or two at the most.  Our
policies do not permit us to distribute this via non-secure means
such as email, and, the user is waiting patiently to be informed,
but, we are kind of in a catch 22 situation; I can't email the info
to you so you can access your email to see that I have created your
account, and waiting for the user to contact us (provided they know
who to contact) isn't part of our customer service practices.

Why can't you call their manager (or them)?  Or have a web based form
that the user fills out and it creates a disabled account.  Now only
the user know their initial.  The account is disable until you get
the paperwork and enable the account.
-Eric

Eric Case, CISSP  <ecase () Arizona edu>
Information Technology Services Coordinator
Information Security Officer
College of Engineering   <http://www.Engr.Arizona.edu>
1127 E James E. Rogers Way Room 200
Tucson, AZ 85721-0020