Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cisco ASA UPdates

From: Michael Grinnell <grinnell () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:51:52 -0400

On Mar 27, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Jeff Kell wrote:

Daly, Douglas wrote:
I hope this is a simple request.  Does anyone know of or have a
script
that will download and install the IPS signatures from Cisco for the
ASA 5500 series running IDS/IPS? With the Conficker rumored to be
ready to spring to life next week, this would be an ideal time to be
sure the signatures are updated in a regular and timely fashion.

There are several options...

* Go to the IPS device manager (https: into your sensor... be sure
you've enabled your IP to manage the sensor first).
* Get IME from the Cisco site... Security Software... IDS/IPS... IPS
Manager Express (I think it's called).  You can configure options from
there.

Once you can "get to it"... you can:

* update manually (both IPS manager and IME can push an update from
a PC
or pull from scp/http/ftp source,
* schedule auto-update (can pull from scp/http/ftp source, or pull
from
Cisco if the sensor has outside access)

Jeff

SysAdmin Mag had a good article a while back: http://www.lhb-consulting.com/pages/apps/IPSUpdate_Tool_article.html
You may have to search the wayback machine to get the code samples
though.

Michael Grinnell
Information Security Engineer
The American University