Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Finding duplicate data

From: Adam Nave <nave () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:25:54 -0600

Lifehacker.com regularly covers the topic of duplicate files.

http://lifehacker.com/tag/file-diff/

A novice or uninformed user can easily mess up their system by
de-duplicating system files and such. You might be better off providing a
search tool.

Revision control systems (CVS or SVN, typically used for organizing
programming projects) can be adapted easily for document management. The
learning curve is a bit steep for the average user, unfortunately. There are
also other more friendly products that have versioning built in. SharePoint
might be one (I'm not familiar with it).

--Adam

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Dexter Caldwell <