Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Internet filtering device

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:16:13 -0500

Kellogg, Brian D. wrote:
Just wondering if anyone is using a network security device to filter
malicious internet traffic particularly for Malware/rootkits?  If so can
you comment on what you are using and its effectiveness.

We have a Packetlogic for bandwidth management, but it includes a firewall feature that
can trigger or drop traffic based on host address, or hostname, URL, filename in a
download, etc. We make limited use of this tool to block malware as we can identify the
traffic and configure it. False positives remain a concern, so we're moving slowly, but
we're getting some of it.

--
Celebrating the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth,
and the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." --Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62).