Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Networked Printer Best Practice

From: Eric Case <ecase () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:56:02 -0700

At 02:11 PM 1/23/2009 -0500, Logan, Kim (loganks) wrote:
I received a call from a vendor recently asking some rather specific
questions regarding security on networked printer/copiers.  I would
like to respond with a generic security list of security best
practice would require networked printers to have/not have,  but
haven't found anything that meets the general criteria.  Does anyone
have or know of such a list?

Here's one, "Multifunction Printer Hardening Checklist"
<http://security.utexas.edu/admin/mfprinter.html>.

My checklist is:
        1) Remove them from the public Internet (use private IPs
that are routable on your campus only)
                1.1) Place an IPP printer server in front of the print devices
        3) Apply the standard security checklists to both the server
and the devices
        4) Work on bigger issues  ;)

Here are some links that you may find interesting/useful:
<http://listserv.educause.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0309&L=SECURITY&P=R3838&I=-3>

Auditing and Securing Multifunction Devices
<http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/networkdevs/1921.php>

<http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/08/printer_securit.html>
<http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/jetdirecthack>
<http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/3563401>
<http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/networkprinterhacking>

-Eric

Eric Case, CISSP  <ecase () Arizona edu>
Information Technology Services Coordinator
Information Security Officer
College of Engineering   <http://www.Engr.Arizona.edu>
1127 E James E. Rogers Way Room 200
Tucson, AZ 85721-0020