Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows GUI diff software with masking capability?

From: "David P. Allen" <allendp () PLU EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:51:54 -0800

You may want to try UltraCompare (http://www.ultraedit.com/products/ultracompare.html)

I've been using UltraEdit & UltraCompare for years with great success. We're not much of a Cisco shop, but their editor does have a couple of Cisco syntax highlighting plug-ins available as well. I don't remember if they are supported in the compare tool as well, but it may be worth a look.

Youngquist, Jason R. wrote:

I’ve done some googling, and so far I haven’t found what I’m looking for. We have created a standard router template for all of our remote campus routers. What I’d like to be able to do is compare the router template with the config from a router. The issue is that there are going to be a number of items such IP addresses, hostnames, etc. that will be different between the two configuration files. What I would like is the ability to “mask out” these differences in the router template, so differences in configuration will more easily stand out. Does such a program exist?

For example:

Remote router:

Router Template:

version 12.3

no service pad

-----------------

service tcp-keepalives-ou

service timestamps debug datetime msec show-timezone

service timestamps log datetime msec show-timezone

service password-encryption

……

no ip dhcp use

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.159.1.100 10.159.1.254

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.159.65.200 10.159.65.254

version 12.4

no service pad

service tcp-keepalives-in

service tcp-keepalives-out

service timestamps debug datetime msec show-timezone

service timestamps log datetime msec show-timezone

service password-encryption

…

no ip dhcp use vrf connected

ip dhcp excluded-address xx.xxx.x.xxx xx.xxx.x.xxx

ip dhcp excluded-address xx.xxx.xx.xxx xx.xxx.xx.xxx

Thanks.

Jason Youngquist

Information Technology Security Engineer

Technology Services

Columbia College

1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO 65216

(573) 875-7334