Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: laws/regulations to comply with

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:13:23 -0700

Hi Jason,

 Legal compliance is contingent on context, but I think you've identified the most common ones. There are some sites
that do a pretty good job of identifying some of the laws and the latest information on them. I found this site pretty
helpful to get up to speed:
  http://counsel.cua.edu/ferpa/

 FWIW as an example, our current policy mix sites 10 different sections of Arizona state law, 4 federal laws, 2 FCC
rulings, and 1 industry mandate. The alphabet soup (e.g. HIPAA, GLBA, etc) of federal laws are a good starting point,
but next I would suggest your state laws before reading USC for example. State laws typically cover requirements in
greater depth than federal laws and I think are often more useful to cite. To find applicable state laws, call up your
counterparts in other state institutions of higher ed, or just read through the laws. :)

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College