Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

realtime traffic graphic tools, RE: success stories

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:41:41 -0700

Since several people have inquired, I'll briefly describe the backend of our realtime graphics tools.  We get a feed of
traffic out of our border router on a mirror port.  This was originally set up to implement some traffic logging tools
for analysis by a system developed by a programmer at the Utah Education Network (UEN) in Salt Lake City.  Our
networking team programmer took the opportunity to do some C++ programming to develop the visuallizations of the live
data as it passes to the traffic logging system. We just use the result, so I'll have to refer interested parties to
the programmer, Rian Shelley (rian.shelley () usu edu), for additional details.  I believe Rian is making the system
available (under GPL license), especially within Utah to work with the UEN traffic logging system (flowtools).

Bob Bayn     (435)797-2396     Security Team coordinator
"IT will NEVER ask for your password via email, honest!"
Office of Information Techology at Utah State University