Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Desktop Management

From: Rob Whalen <rwhalen () STMARYS-CA EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:54:28 -0700

Andy Rivers wrote:
Good Morning,

I was wondering what everyone is using to manage their workstations.  We
currently have several pilot projects going to evaluate different products
and technologies, and I was curious how everyone else is managing their
desktops.  We are primarily interested in how administrative workstations
are handled, not necessarily how labs are managed.

Here are a few specific areas that we are wondering about:

- Is Active Directory the primary choice for managing Windows clients?  If
so, how widely deployed is it?  All workstations?  Also, how strict of a
policy are you applying?

- How are policies and other activities managed in AD? All centrally?
Delegate OU administration?

- What, if anything, are you using to push policy to OS X and Linux clients?

- Has anyone tested or currently using products like Centrify and Likewise?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Andy Rivers
University of Tennessee

Andy,
We use ZEN desktop management from Novell. It will do what you want. The
Mac piece requires either an OS X server (using OS X workstation
manager) or the Tanaka client to work. If you would like to chat send me
an email.
Rob