Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure File and Email Transfer

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:12:52 -0600

Clark, Sean wrote:
TLS (Transport Layer Security) may also be a good option for
gateway-to-gateway email encryption, depending on the receiving
institutions ability to implement TLS on their end.  We originally setup
TLS to ensure a secure connection between researchers at our university
and a drug company.  After we setup TLS and configured our mail gateways
to preferentially use TLS for mail transfer (ie when the other mail
server was TLS-enabled), we found that quite a bit of our email traffic
to other institutions was being encrypted.  TLS is supported by
Sendmail, Postfix, Exchange -- and Ironport.
;)

Hmm, we see only 7% of external mail servers will do STARTTLS with our
servers.  It would be cool if they all did it so that we could require
it for all traffic.  But we're still in the position of making it
optional by default and manually requiring it for a few domains of our
choosing.

To answer the original question... I guess it depends on how you want to
secure the files and who you want to be able to access them.  Do you
intend to just secure files in transit, or on the desktop?  Do you want
to prevent users from sending files over email insecurely?

For securing files in transit *and* on the desktop, you will need a PKI.
 It is expensive and won't work with another domain that does not have a
PKI.

Using TLS might work for securing files in transit over email on campus
since you might be able to mandate TLS be supported on all campus mail
servers.  But you can't mandate remote domains support TLS unless you're
willing to cut off communication with 93% (?) of the world.

We offer a Xythos service that works well for uploading and sharing
files securely (https) on and off campus.  There are many other services
(in-house or 3rd party) that you can choose from to meet your needs.  Of
course, you can't mandate usage of these services.

I presume that there's software out there that will strip attachments at
the email gateway and upload to a web-based service.  If they exist I
don't know how well they work, and I can think of some drawbacks to that
approach.

Jesse
UW-Madison

Sean Clark