Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

physical access controls

From: Tom Siu <thomas.siu () CASE EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:07:44 -0500

Hi Sean,
Check with Brad Judy at Boulder- they seemed to have a good setup when
I visited them in 2006.

Here are Case, we have a very different situation.

Our ITS office areas are around campus- the main group is in an office
building shared with HR, the Dean of Arts & Sciences, a Cafe, and an
academic department.  This means it is open all day, and much of the
evening.  We are an urban campus, in a pretty bad neighborhood, and
the 'neighbors' often visit us to go laptop "shopping."

We also have ITS staff in the main Library, and another group in an
access-controlled area of the Med School.

It would be optimal to have us all in one building, with badge access
controls.

To answer Brian's comment about other departments, they are pretty
much interspersed around campus with the same openness we experience.
We had a plan to move the administrative functions off campus to a
singular location about three years ago, but finances were a big
problem back then and the program was canceled.  That would have freed
up this space for academic purposes.

Regards,
Tom

   Tom Siu
   Chief Information Security Officer
   Case Western Reserve University
   thomas.siu () case edu
   www.case.edu/its/security
   my pgp key can be found at pgpkeys.mit.edu
   216-368-6959

* Make sure you sign up for CaseWARN  notifications at
https://its-services.case.edu/my-case-notifications/