Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical Security - How many IT Departments have Restricted Access?

From: "Peters, Kevin" <Kevin.Peters () OLC STATE OH US>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:13:50 -0500

Sean:

At a previous institution we had a Help Desk in a common area in the building that housed IT for walk in customer
service. In the areas of computer and network support all doors were locked at all times and alarmed after hours for
those reasons you mention.

I am currently with a State Agency housed in a State building with other State Agencies. All visitors to the building
must sign in at a front desk that has building security and highway patrol officers present. IDs are required and all
bags are checked. Next the visitor must sign in at our Agency front desk. From there someone will come pick up the
visitor. All doors into all areas of our building are locked at all times. Keycard access to key IT areas is based upon
business need and approval by the IT Director.

Kevin Peters
The Ohio Lottery