Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

DNS change to switch WSUS servers

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:13:55 -0400

We've got two WSUS servers. An old one running
2.0 and a new one running 3.1sp1.

The computers using the old server are unmanaged
and were assigned to it in a variety of ways
including an operator run script. It would be
difficult to change the desktop configurations
to point at the new server.

Mananged, domain joined computers are assigned
to the new one.

For a variety of reasons, we'd like to retire the
old WSUS server ASAP.

Can I just change the DNS record for the old
server to point at the new one? Has anyone done
this?

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer