Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Publishing password rules

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:27:48 -0700

 A key component of password strength is entropy. Running English text has extremely low entropy which is why, for
example, plain text can be compressed so well. Thus, when considering password strength as a function of bit-strength,
a long passphrase of simple words is quite weak. Passphrases also have end-user challenges -- namely typing a long
string of characters the user can't see without making a typo, etc.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College