Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Measuring security

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:35:19 -0500

I recommend measuring vulnerabilities on campus systems, as measured by a network vulnerability analyzer (or a skilled
assessment team for non-network pen-testing), along with measuring campus audience awareness.  Why?

1)      They are direct predictors of a security "event" happening

2)      We can directly influence them (determined by money, support, time, etc)

3)      The tools which measure them are relatively stable, yet evolve as threats change, and are generally used more
places than just here, so we're not an island of data

4)      An increase in the vuln count, when it happens, is due either to increased threats, or decreased vigilance.
Both of these, and what can (or cannot) be done about them are readily understood by a non-technical audience

5)      A decrease in the count of vulns, and/or increase in awareness, means risk is going downward

Counting attacks, conversely, can be very misleading or easily misunderstood.  It indicates any one of several things,
many of which are outside your control (e.g. threats evolving, smarter attackers, etc).
Counting the presence of fortifications (like, systems patched, antivirus deployed), likewise, tells you what you've
built, but is only an indirect indicator of the likelihood of an incursion. (e.g. "look how tall our wall is!" sounds
nice - except if the back gate is hanging open)

I'm not saying these latter counts aren't also useful, just that as executive metrics (where brevity is very much the
soul of wit) they are too hard to explain meaningfully, and their trend can be confusing.  But as indicators read by a
security professional or a CIO they are very meaningful in their own right.