Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Downloading music at work

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:22:07 -0500

At 10:11 AM 10/1/2008, Todd Bossaller put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their response.  What if that person does not own that PC and it is property of someone else or
a business or institution?   I wonder if the 5 seats have to include PCs that you own personally?

It doesn't say they need to be owned by you.  OTOH, it would be a
copyright violation if I authorized your computer to play my music.
(trust me on this, you really don't want to play my music)  Especially
if you then used that authorization to transfer copies to another media.

Here's what the iTunes help says onthe subject:

To play purchases from the iTunes Store, you must authorize your computer using your iTunes Store account and password.
(Authorization helps protect the copyrights of the purchased items.)

You can authorize up to five computers (Macintosh, Windows, or both) at a time. To play a purchased item on a sixth
computer, you need to deauthorize another one. An iPod doesn't count as a computer.

You can authorize or deauthorize a computer at any time. Be sure to deauthorize a computer before you sell it or give
it away.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.