Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: User's not following the rules

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:00:47 -0400

FWIW, judgments in cases like the one you describe are handled (here) by the relevant University office (e.g. Student
Affairs, HR, Provost) because they have ceased to be "information security" in nature, and instead are an employee
performance issue or a code-of-conduct question.
Ihe IT folks become suppliers to those offices of background data on the case.  We are not expected to judge nor impose
sanctions of our own choosing.  I have found this to be a very proper arrangement.