Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Please help with study on threat analysis

From: "Rigby, Steven" <RigbyS () BYUI EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:34:58 -0600

Hi Everyone!!

I am conducting a study examining how different instructional strategies
help students learn threat analysis concepts.  More specifically, I am
investigating the extent and nature of the influence of examples from
multiple domains on increasing learners' conceptual understanding (as
compared to using examples from just one domain or field).  Similar
research has been done in the past, but it focuses on well-defined
concepts and problems; my work is novel in that it focuses on
ill-defined concepts and problems.  And as you know, many concepts and
problems in the real world are ill-defined!

In order to complete this study, I need to first determine how
practitioners perceive threat analysis concepts.  With the understanding
that your time is very limited, I created a concept map of threat
analysis and included it in this email.  I would appreciate it if you
would look at this map and respond back whether you agree with the
included map/relationships and if not, what you would change as far as
the concepts included and the relationships between concepts.

This should take only a moment to look at this picture and respond back
with your thoughts.  I would also be happy to provide any results from
this study.

This study is the possibility of increasing student's conceptual
understanding through profound learning experiences that fosters deep
learning of abstract concepts. It is the hope that these learning
experiences will enhance transfer and increase student's expertise.
Having your participation is essential to evaluate whether or not these
learning experiences affect students conceptual understanding in
meaningful way.

You can respond back to rigbys () byui edu

Thank you so much for your help!

Steve Rigby

Faculty

Computer and Information Technology Department

BYU-Idaho