Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access Policies

From: Charlie Prothero <Charlie.Prothero () KEYSTONE EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:23:01 -0400

Hi, Todd.  Because of the many security risks associated with VPN, we
replaced it with MS terminal servers as our primary remote access
vehicle.  The terminal servers' RDP ports are published out through our
firewall, and will only accept encrypted connections.  This approach is
also much easier to support than VPN.

We do still have VPN, but only people who need access to specific
machines (i.e. IT staff, faculty/admin staff with specialized software,
etc) get it.

- Charlie

Charlie Prothero
CIO