Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: mobile POS system

From: Mark Monroe <markm196 () NETSCAPE NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:25:35 -0500

Thank you for all of your comments.

They have been very helpful.

Mark

Memisyazici, Aras wrote:
Having actually faced this situation 1st hand, please allow me to
relay my condolences... Believe me I understand your pain my friend!

With that being said, me and my partner in crime did the following to
satisfy PCI compliance for a mobile station by:

1) Those that did support being hooked up to LAN via physical cable,
were in fact converted.

2) Those that WEREN'T capable, we bought a Linksys router, put OpenWRT
on it and configured it to negotiate @ WPA2-AES/PSK and enabled the
built-in FW features (way more capable & smarter than the std. one) on
the router as well as ensured 1-to-1 NAT (given our current
wired/wireless network infrastructure and the way the mother-app was
designed this was a necessity) had only the absolute minimum required
ports being forwarded. The router of course was plugged into the LAN
uplink-wise and physically secured so noone could interrupt it's
functionality

3) The client was Embedded XP based (*shudders*) so, we setup stunnel
on it with a 4096-bit key for the port(s) it communicated on, then
d/l'd and installed Comodo FW and (disabled the joke-of-a-win-fw) set
it up to only allow traffic from the 'server' and no where else.

4) Ensured physically it was inaccessible by placing it in a lockable
podium and located it in a public area so that if anyone attempted to
tinker with the lock, it would grab attention.

5) Locked down the system via Local Security Policy and ensured
passwords were long, complex and salted!

6) On the server setup stunnel to receive said traffic with
corresponding key.

With all of the above in place, informed the mgmt that best practice
was to NOT use the system, only for when absolutely necessary... And
to take it down as soon as the need was satisfied.

We passed our internal audit that way (which as Valdis pointed out is
a group of infosec pros that are EXTREMELY hard to convince on
anything :p )

Hope this helps,

Aras "Russ" Memisyazici
Systems Administrator
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, GCFA Trained

Office of the Vice President for Research
Virginia Tech

P.S. This year an outside PCI approved auditor is coming apparently...
(I've recently been promoted to another dept. and am thankfully no
longer responsible for PCI compliance!) I'll keep my eyes open on that
and let you know how it goes!=