Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FYI: Another round of spear Phishing

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:52:58 -0500

Clyde, Steve, and the group,

We are getting these as well too in increasing numbers.  The last one this
week raised the bar again by the fact that the entity initiating the attack
used the exact term we use for our network identities vs. the generic
"username", they included a school copyright message at the bottom to make
it look more legit, and they used a reply to address that included our
school name @gmail.com.

Our clients are getting used to them now, and we manually blocked outbound
accounts and the fact that it only takes 1 compromised account to make a
mess, it is worrisome to rely on manually blocking responses once the
phishing message has arrived.

Thanks,

Chris Gregg
Director of Information Security