Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: iTunes U and CampusCruiser authentication.

From: Steven Carmody <Steven_Carmody () BROWN EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:07:37 -0400

At 3:20 PM -0500 6/4/08, Jones, Cheryl wrote:
Hi List,

We are in the process of implementing iTunes U as well as
CampusCruiser.  ITunes requires that our users authenticate via one
of our web pages and their information is then passed to iTunes to
allow access to their resources.

Have any of you implemented a solution whereby CampusCruiser can be
the vehicle for iTunes U authentication?  And, if so, how did you
implement it and what were your concerns and pitfalls?  Or, is there
a better solution out there?

The InCommon Federation ( http://www.incommonfederation.org/ ) and
the Shibboleth project ( http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/ ) have been
working with the Apple iTunes development team. The result is
Shibboleth-enabled access to iTunes.

With Shibboleth, campuses can have a single Web SSO system that works
both inside the campus and outside the campus (to access iTunes, info
providers (eg EBSCO, JSTOR, Science Direct, etc). Go here for a very
out-of-date list of Shibboleth-enabled applications (
https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/seas/Home ).

Shibboleth also provides authenticated access to a growing number of
federal agency web sites (NIH is already a member of InCommon, other
agencies are in the process of joining).