Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Dealing with IronPort SenderBase

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:38:00 -0400

Has anyone else had to deal with SenderBase to have their reputation score adjusted?  We had this issue once in the
past.  We had to contact Cisco sales managers (IronPort was bought by Cisco so we went that route since we are a Cisco
shop) and get messages to directors at IronPort before their customer support would budge to adjust our score.  It took
almost a week and a lot of political garbage.

We had a user fall victim to a phishing scheme which resulted in his account being compromised.  The attacker logged in
to his webmail (OWA) account from Nigeria and sent about 100 spam messages cc'ed to multiple recipients.  I am not sure
where IronPort's support personnel got the idea it was a virus/Trojan other than obviously not carefully reading my
initial e-mail to them and making assumptions.  We did have a similar issue back in March with another account.  That
issue was made worse since we did not get paged until the drives containing our mail logs and queues got low on space.

We were able to stop this latest attack within 30 minutes (during off hours) thanks to monitoring we had placed on our
Exchange SMTP queues.  Several e-mail addresses the attacker used had invalid domains which resulted in our queues
exceeding the low thresholds we have in place to trigger paging.  We are still investigating better options to mitigate
these attacks as it is only a matter of time before we get another user that falls victim to these schemes.

I am very frustrated with IronPort's lack of support.  I feel they are holding organizations hostage by refusing to
adjust the score.  In my opinion their score is a defamation of character based upon the current point in time where
the issue on our end has been corrected.  It is hindering our ability to conduct business with other organizations.  I
have contacted the domains that are using IronPort appliances and asked them to whitelist us.  Many of them do not have
valid postmaster, hostmaster, and/or DNS administrator e-mail accounts.  Of the ones that do, only one has responded
(kudos to them for monitoring their administrative mailboxes, and shame on those that do not monitor these boxes).

IronPort states the score will come down on its own.  However, it was my understanding that the score comes down as
more legitimate mail is sent from our mail server.  In order for them to see legitimate mail, something has to report
back to them.  That something, I would presume, is IronPort appliances.  If we can't connect to IronPort appliances to
send mail because they are blocking all mail exchangers with a poor reputation, our score will never come down.

Thanks for your input,

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator