Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ID Card information request

From: Allison Dolan <adolan () MIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:38:41 -0400

Ellen

MIT's Card Office is the sole source of MIT ID cards; it is part of
the Division of Student Life.  I don't know how it is funded, but as
a 'consumer', I know they have recently implemented fees in some cases.

There are different cards for students, staff, affiliates, spouses
etc.  See http://web.mit.edu/mitcard/getcard.html

Cards are used by students for "purchases [TechCASH account], library
check-outs, access to  on-campus residence, the Athletics Facilities
or other MIT buildings, and as general ID card for MIT events."
http://web.mit.edu/mindandhandbook/offices/card_office.html

For more detailed information about the type of card (there is at
least a mag stripe, and proximity chip ),  you could email
mitcard () mit edu

Allison F. Dolan
Program Director, PII
Massachusetts Institute of Technology