Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AV - Full scans or On Access Scans

From: "I. W. Woodle" <iwoodle () UTK EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:48:27 -0400

Is user education that difficult? Isn't it just like telling someone
that they need to change the oil every three thousand miles on their
car. If you don't do it, you pay a much larger price and inconvenience
than that of the few minutes to change the oil. Some do pay that price.
I know I did when I blew the engine in my first car..and learned the
hard way. No matter how you look at it, I never had a car exit the
interstate when the odometer reached three thousand and automatically
drive up to a jiffy lube and get it's oil changed. Maybe I'm way off
here so just ignore me if I am.... but it seems the simple solution is
to tell your users to scan and maybe remind them on a regular basis.

OR

If you must automate things more, you could provide a utility (run
during the av installation) that asks the users when they would like to
schedule their scans and schedule it for them in the av product. That's
something that could easily be scripted and something I think we will do
here thanks to this discussion. But this question of when to scan seems
to be a very personal issue and hard to separate from the individual user.

-Wes
University of Tennessee

Jenkins, Matthew wrote:
What if a machine could be hibernated, restarted with the lightweight
OS, scanned, and then brought back out of hibernate mode.  I suppose you
would still have to worry about network and/or computing activity being
interrupted during that time, especially for servers.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University