Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus Security Governance Structures?

From: Jim Dillon <Jim.Dillon () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:16:14 -0600

Doug,

Fair enough, but you generally have to dig through items not specifically targeted at achieving governance to get the
applicable tidbits from some of these sources.  It is my understanding that the 27000 series addresses governance more
specifically.  If you picked a particular NIST resource, one or the other might be more applicable - that wasn't the
point of my post.  As to the "definition of governance" it seems that a source that considers themselves to be speaking
directly to the topic of governance (as opposed to one speaking to the topic of security) might be worth considering.

My primary concern is that we don't mix technical control constructs into the idea of governance.  They are
implementation details in response to governance, to direction, to objectives, to managerial decisions, not governance
themselves.  Too often I find governance arguments focus on the "strength of passwords" and "authentication
methodologies", not on the objectives and risk avoidance priorities of true governance.  Often the IT organization is
pushing for technically superior solutions, when in the course of things business process changes are perhaps more
viable.

As I said, I do use these other documents and find value in their assessment methodologies and recommendations.  It
simply seems that it is better to start with sources that address the subject directly than to pull from more indirect
sources when starting out.  I have no problem recommending each of the referenced sources as having applicable
information to the question.  The problem is one of targeting and subject matter objective.  Implementing good
technical security is possible even if governance is poor - achieving the right process and optimal use of resources is
pretty darn hard without appropriate governance though.  Thus even though NIST is one of the primary sources for many
of my security questions and practice definitions, I have to remember that it is targeted specifically at governmental
systems and objectives, and thus isn't necessarily the optimal mix for my current organization.  Having served in
Defense Electronics, Semiconductor Manufacturing, Merchandising, and Higher Ed roles I can safely say that the
priorities and thus the governance decisions are quite different for each.

As I passed on to Marty, I think the "Board Briefing on IT Governance" from ITGI (ISACA Bookstore - free PDF available)
is a really good place to start when thinking about governance structures.  I don't subscribe to all the implications
in it, or COBIT, or any one source, the point is generally that controls need to match the objectives and needs of a
particular organization within its environment.  That usually means that not all controls (including management roles,
processes, decision forums, policies) can be identical for everyone.  Too many auditors (my previous field) miss this
reality entirely and measure only against the most easily identified "best practice" document with no attention to
objectives and environmental constraints.  Anyway, this briefing has some good information regarding particular roles
and responsibilities in IT Governance (and yes IT Security Governance is just a sub-part of that) that is a good
starting platform for thinking through the governance challenges that face any organization.  I particularly like the
appendices - not for the purpose of implementing an exact mirror, but for the purpose of thinking broadly about the
potential decision points and responsibilities and identifying where they are placed in my own organization.

Best regards,

Jim Dillon

"Bones not Casts"

-----------University of Colorado--------------
Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP
Program Manager
Administrative Systems and Data Services
jim.dillon () colorado edu        303-735-5682