Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: consequences for student hacking

From: "Halliday,Paul" <Paul.Halliday () NSCC CA>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:13:36 -0400

"Let's face it, there's zillions of tools that will snarf packets literally
out of thin air, without transmitting any themselves."

On most networks (switched and vlan'd) you should get very little w/o injecting something. The info you do get, while
somewhat useful for leveraging other attacks, will not in itself give you any passwords. Well, maybe some SNMP1/2
community strings - but that's not really a password.

If someone starts flooding CAM tables or they arp poison a gateway well, that's an entirely different story - and quite
easy to trace.