Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blacklisted by Hotmail

From: Jeffrey Ramsay <jramsay () UTICA EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:47:26 -0500

Tim,

There a couple of things you can do to remedy the situation. I'm speaking from experience dealing with hotmail, yahoo and aol -- you can assign a second IP address to you MTA. This new IP should be only used to transmit messages to these providers, but you will have to enable rate-limiting schemes depending how your users use the system in order to avoid being blacklisted again.

Overall, this is not a bad idea for transmitting all outgoing message -- here, some offices send messages to several hundred users at once and I have rate-limited them using burst distribution of 4-recipients per transmission attempt. AOL and Yahoo greylist your domain after 5-recipients per connection attempt.

-Jeff

Tim Lane wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone experienced being blacklisted by Hotmail? In order to remove our current “blacklisting” we have been advised by Hotmail that we need to subscribe to their outsourced ‘Sender Score Certified Program’, however actually talking with anyone at Hotmail about the issue and its resolution is proving extremely challenging.

If anyone has had any experience with dealing with Hotmail on this level any advice/recommendations would be appreciated as this is now severely impacting our core business as many students have their email forwarded to Hotmail, and we are therefore unable to send an email to them.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Lane

Information Security Program Manager

IT&TS

Southern Cross University

Ph (02) 6620 3290

Mobile 0418 248 571

--
Jeffrey J. Ramsay
Systems Administrator (SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA)

When privacy or confidentiality is a concern, using PGP®
encryption is the most secure way to send files, email or
other types of communication. For those who would like to
communicate with me via PGP®, below is my PGP® Public Key.

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x198F8216&op=index&fingerprint=on