Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Securing / erasing hard drives in copiers?

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:47:22 -0500

One of our copier service providers now follows a protocol we setup with
them wherein they return all hard drives to us for destruction when they
replace one.

At least one vendor (let's call them "brand X") has a software option
that securely overwrites remnant files in the background, so the copier
essentially contains only those scans which haven't been retrieved and
deleted.

You'll also want a plan to work with procurement so that new
copier/scanners get properly config'd when installed.  Most of the time
they just end up sharing a filespace with everyone, and many run
un-patched Windows.  Someone needs to hold the active responsibility to
"own" and care for these things ongoing.